Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Writing It Right

Everyone knows that the most intimidating thing in writing is the infamous blank page or blank computer screen. In order to write well you need to be in a relaxed setting with no stress or pressure as to the outcome of your master piece. There shouldn't be any distractions in the room unless you're the type of person who can write well with a lot of noise. By relaxing yourself and leaving plenty of time to pick a topic, research, write, and revise, you avoid the dreaded writer's block. Giving yourself at least 1-2 weeks to complete the writing process is key. I know that this seems like a longer amount of time than usual, but it really isn't that much time when you're balancing many classes that each have their own work due. This amount of time is for you to research, write, and revise.
Take it one step at a time, you don't want to rush things. First, pick a topic. To do this brainstorm, or pick something that interests you. Next, research it thoroughly and write down the information in easy to read notes. Then sit down and write. Just write what comes to you freely, regardless of how it sounds. Write everything that you think is important to the topic and keep going until you have a rather sizable amount of information. Once you have finished the first part of the writing, sit back and proof read your work. Fix and cut out anything that isn't the way you want it. Go through the usual grammar and spelling checks as well as going through and making sure that it makes sense. Then have someone else read your work. Have them make suggestions and then go from there. Rewrite your paper and keep rewriting until you have it exactly the way that you want it.
When writing I tend to follow the steps listed above. Writing in my most comfortable clothes sitting or lounging on my bed in a quiet room. I write what comes to my mind and go with it until I can't anymore. Which is what I did with the free blog. I wrote the first thing that came to my mind and went with it. Then I revised it until I felt comfortable enough to have others read it.
I usually write everything out by hand first because it is often easier to conquer the blank page than it is to conquer the blank computer screen. Once I have it all written down I revise and reread it. Once I'm somewhat satisfied with what I've written I go to the computer and write. This process is faster if you have something already written out and it makes it easier to build off of. Once it's finished I print and have others read it, make suggestions, and pretty much tear the paper apart in order to get it perfect, or as close to it as possible. Then I revise and keep revising until I feel that it is the best that I can make it.
To conquer writer's block I usually walk away from whatever it is that I'm working on, take a break, and then come back to it later. If I don't have the time to just walk away I begin another brainstorming session or just start writing about random stuff. Something will usually come to me in the midst of all the madness.
So here it is, the method to my madness, it's what works for me. Having a well planned process behind the writing process itself. Yes, some could argue that my writing process is pretty anal, and that I do more work than necessary, but it's what works for me and it is what has worked for me since I was in Jr. High. You may not agree with me and that's fine, but if you're having trouble writing and collecting your thoughts, try it. You may find that it works better than you thought it would.
Jen

No comments: